Citrus Heights Sentinel Logo

Garage fire damages Citrus Heights home; family safely escapes

Firefighters douse a burned garage with a fire hose on Canyon Oak Drive Wednesday night. // M. Hazlip

By Mike Hazlip —
A fire broke out Wednesday night at a Citrus Heights home in the northeastern area of the city, causing the roof of an attached garage to cave in.

Metro Fire Battalion Chief Chris Reed said fire crews arrived to the scene of the fire on the 8200 block of Canyon Oak Drive shortly after 10:30 p.m. and were able to keep the blaze from spreading to the rest of the house. The garage roof was partially collapsed, and two vehicles in the driveway were also involved in the blaze.

Reed said the home’s four occupants were uninjured in the blaze. A man and woman were able to escape with their three-year-old child and seven-week-old infant. The family will be seeking shelter with relatives, he said.

A recently installed electrical appliance in the garage is the suspected cause of the fire.

Like local news? Sign up for The Sentinel’s free email edition and get two emails a week with all local news and no spam, ever. (Click here)