Latest local news briefs include a former Citrus Heights Water District official and local business owner passing away, the story of a local DUI arrest going viral, latest news on the East Area Rapist, as well as a story on a parrot shop coming to town.
David Goforth, former Citrus Heights Water District official, dies
David Lee Goforth, a Citrus Heights resident who served briefly on the Board of Directors for the local water district, passed away last month at the age of 68. Goforth also owned and operated Hyjentek, a biohazard remediation service which contracted with law enforcement agencies to clean up crime scenes. An obituary published last week said he is survived by his wife, Joyce, as well as three children and five grandchildren. A memorial will be held on July 21 at the Citrus Heights Community Center, although a specific time was not listed. (See obituary)
Story goes viral after driver tries to light cigarette with burning car in Citrus Heights
The story of a suspected drunk driver who was arrested last Sunday in Citrus Heights went viral after news outlets as far as the UK-based Daily Mail reported the 25-year-old suspect crashed his car and then returned to it in order to light a cigarette using flames that erupted from the wreck. Fox News reported the suspect, Robert Quigley, got into an accident on westbound Interstate 80, just west of Antelope Road in Citrus Heights, while reportedly driving around 75 to 80 miles per hour.
According to the news agency, a witness told officials that Quigley “went back to his burning car to light his cigarette, singeing part of his eyebrows off in the process.” The suspect later told a CHP officer at the scene, “Yeah I’m not afraid of fire. I deal with this kind of stuff all the time.” Quigley was booked into jail on suspicion of driving under the influence. It was reportedly the second time he had arrested for DUI within a week. (See story)
East Area Rapist suspect appears in court again
Latest news reports from the past week documented a court appearance with suspect Joseph DeAngelo and interviews with several victims who came to the courthouse on July 12. The following is a compilation of the latest news coverage on the case:
- Fox News: ‘Golden State Killer’ suspect faces victims, families at court hearing
- Mercury News: ‘Now we have the power and control’: Golden State Killer victims show up to court hearing
- KCRA: ‘I hope he suffers,’ victim of East Area Rapist says after hearing
- CBS 13: What Will Happen To Suspected East Area Rapist’s Citrus Heights Home?
- Obituary. Azeneth Hernandez, a preacher’s wife and 58-year-resident of Citrus Heights, passed away on July 6, at 88 years of age. (See obituary)
- LEGOs. Joe Bergmans, and engineer and LEGO enthusiast from Citrus Heights, was featured in a Mercury News story for his role at the 2018 Bricks By the Bay convention. (See story)
- Parrot shop. Parrot Planet is slated to move from its East Sacramento location and open its doors in Citrus Heights on July 21 at 5910 Auburn Blvd. (See story)