Citrus Heights Sentinel Logo

Local furniture store celebrates 70 years in Citrus Heights

Hall's Furniture & Appliance, Citrus Heights, 1946
An archive photo of Hall’s Furniture store on Mariposa Avenue in Citrus Heights, believed to have been taken in 1949. // Courtesy, Hall’s.

Hall’s Furniture store is celebrating its 70th anniversary since first opening in 1946, making it one of the oldest, still-operating businesses in Citrus Heights.

Located on Mariposa Avenue and set back about a block from busy Antelope Road, the personal, old-fashioned customer service provided at Hall’s over the years is among many distinctive aspects customers say they appreciate, as shown by the company’s five-star reviews online.

Originally opened by John Hall as a small furniture and appliance store back when Citrus Heights was still largely a farming community, the location has since expanded its size to a 12,000-square-feet furniture store. Although changing selection and size over the years, the business has stayed within the extended family, most recently being sold in the 90’s to current owner Mike Harper, whose great uncle was John “J.D.” Hall.

Entering the somewhat-remodeled store today, shoppers can still see tell-tale signs of the location’s history, with the store still noticeably sectioned off into five areas — one for each different business that once made up a small shopping center on Mariposa Avenue. Over the years, Hall’s expanded its store size by taking over a neighboring dress shop, variety store and the old post office.

[follow text=”Get local news:”]

In the 1950’s, the shopping area around Hall’s was a spot where residents could get gas, drop off mail, and shop for clothes, furniture, and more. The post office opened in 1953 several stores down from Hall’s, but a small, two-story post office opened first in 1947 in a back area next to Hall’s, run by postmaster Margery Woods, who also owned Wood’s Variety store in the same shopping center.

Hall’s Groceries & Meats also opened next door to the furniture store, but was sold by the family in the 60’s and continues to operate as a small grocery store today. A pair of Texaco gas pumps were also located outside Hall’s, which the 58-year-old Harper recalls using to pump gas for the furniture delivery trucks while he was in high school.

Although largely a farming community up until the 60’s, Citrus Heights picked up population after the war and also had a new housing area spring up near Mariposa Avenue and Watson Way, creating demand for household furniture and other items, according to Teena Stern, the City’s volunteer archivist and historian.

With 70 years in operation, Hall’s is one of Citrus Heights’ oldest businesses still in operation, coming to town about 10 years after Harris Welding Supply set up shop along Auburn Boulevard in 1936. Both companies says they’ve maintained family ownership since first opening.

[For more on Citrus Heights’ history, see: Mayor reflects on fight to make Citrus Heights a city]

Although dropping appliance offerings about eight years ago, Hall’s now features a showroom with hundreds of different futons, beds, couches, tables and more. The company offers free local delivery and regularly serves customers from Placer and Sacramento counties, according to Hall’s Assistant Manager Jeff Carle, who is also the owner’s cousin.

In celebration of seven decades in operation, Hall’s is currently holding a 70th anniversary sale which lasts until the end of April.

Get The Sentinel’s local news delivered to your inbox each Sunday: Sign up for free here.

Like local news? Sign up for The Sentinel’s free email edition and get two emails a week with all local news and no spam, ever. (Click here)